Support for families & carers
Family members and professional carers may select from many valuable Dementia Australia support services to assist the management and care of their loved one’s behaviours. These services include professional feedback from a multidisciplinary healthcare professional team comprising a registered nurse, occupational therapist, speech pathologist, dietitian, physiotherapist, psychologist, music therapist, dementia assistant and leisure and lifestyle therapist.
A 24/ 7 Dementia Helpline, one-on-one videoconferencing, a dementia library, dementia help sheets and resources, carer support groups, dementia workshops, nationally accredited Cert III modules, self-paced specialised learning programs, tailored educational sessions, dementia design advice, linking to specialist community care respite and in-home care services, advice on smart assistive technologies, and memory and cognition.
Our Dementia Carer Workshops may be accessed in-person via dedicated groups, or via phone or videoconference.
Our workshops equip participants with a wealth of information regarding the impact of dementia on lifestyle, functional ability and behaviour and supporting strategies and techniques to help improve independence and maintain quality of life.
Our workshop topics include:
- What is dementia?
- Activities and dementia
- Dementia and night-time behaviours
- Dementia and behaviours of concern
- Dementia: smart assistive technologies
- Depression in dementia
- Dementia and intellectual disabilities
- Communication and dementia
- Dementia and design
- Falls prevention for people with dementia
- Manual handling of a frail aged person
- Lewy Body Dementia
To register for our workshops, call 1800 180 023.
Dementia Australia Library
People living with dementia, their carers, families, healthcare professionals and students may access our extensive Dementia Australia Library by simply completing a library registration form. Our library resources, available and mailed free-of-charge to registrants, must be returned within four weeks of borrowing via post at the registrant’s expense. To register, contact 1800 180 023.
Conditions of borrowing from our Dementia Australia Library
The borrower agrees:
- To return resources within 4 weeks of borrowing.
- To not re-lend materials to other persons / organisations.
- To be responsible for costs incurred in returning items (e.g. postage charges).
- To return materials in similar packaging as when received.
- To be responsible for the replacement costs of items not returned, lost or damaged.
- Should resources returned by mail to Dementia Australia be lost in transit, the borrower must provide proof of postage, or replace the items (or their value).
- That copyright law prohibits the reproduction of books, journals and videos, and therefore, must not copy or duplicate our library resources.
Dementia Design Services
Dementia Australia expertly crafts beautiful, functional, inspiring and comfortable ‘home-like’ environments (rather than stark, institutional and alienating spaces) according to our innovative Dementia Design principles for people living with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Our Dementia Design Services team, comprising an Interior Designer, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist and Architect, offer expert counsel on in-home, respite and residential centres, dementia design tips for domestic homes and minor cosmetic changes to residential homes.
Organisations may also attend our Dementia Design workshop or participate in a videoconferencing advisory session if remotely located. To learn more, head to www.dementia-australia.org.
Dementia Carer Support Groups
Dementia Carer Support Groups constitute an informal gathering of people who share similar experiences, situations or concerns in relation to caring for a loved one living with dementia. Coordinated by our professionally trained staff, the group members offer each other emotional and practical support.
Dementia Carer Support Group meetings may include:
- Information about Alzheimer's disease and other dementia-related illnesses
- Group discussion
- Sharing experiences and practical tips and advice on living with, or caring for someone with dementia
- Information and educational sessions featuring guest speakers and/or video content
- An occasional social outing
- Sharing a cup of tea/coffee.
Our Dementia Carer Support Groups include:
Telephone Support Group – held on the last Wednesday of each month between 1:00 – 2:00pm via telephone at no cost to members.
Toowoomba Carer Support Group – held on the first Monday of each month between 9:30 – 11:30am at the Park Motel, 88 Margaret Street, Toowoomba.
Toowoomba Men Only Carer Support Group – hosted at the Toowoomba Multi Service Centre at 11:30am, including lunch. Call 07 4635 2966 to register or for more information.
Ipswich Carer Support Group – held on the third Wednesday of each month between 10am – noon at the Calvary Baptist Churc, 83 Chermside Road, Ipswich.
Windsor Carer Support Group – held on the first Thursday of each month between 10am – noon at 26 Palmer Street, Windsor (enter via a pool-looking gate in Palmer Street, directly opposite the Old Council Chambers brick building on Lutwyche Road).
Redcliffe / Brisbane North Carer Support Group – held on the first Thursday of each month between 2:00 – 4:00pm at the Redcliffe Cultural Centre, Terry Walker Room, Downs Street, Redcliffe.
Brisbane South Carer Support Group – held on the first Friday of each month between 10am – noon in Upper Mount Gravatt, Brisbane.
Brisbane South Evening Carer Support Group – hosted quarterly at a respite centre in Upper Mount Gravatt, Brisbane, specialising in dementia care between 6:00 – 7:00pm.
Brisbane North Evening Carer Support Group – held at a Gordon Park, Brisbane respite centre specializing in dementia care between 6:00 – 7:30pm.
To register for our Dementia Carer Support Groups, call 1800 180 023.